Sunday, February 12, 2012

Warcraft: Surge of Power and Fumdal Mountainfrost





Fumdal Mountainfrost? I always get a kick out of dwarf names in fantasy fiction and that's a creative one. These two pieces were created for the World of Warcraft trading card game. The first was a challenge because the description called for the character to simply be standing amidst 4 totems representing the elements (air, fire, water and earth). Having a character standing and doing nothing is rarely ideal so I used a bit of forced perspective to add interest and I was pleased with the way the picture turned out.

The second illustration is titled Surge of Power and shows tree creatures (called treants in Warcraft) glowing with green nature energy. I've loved the idea of tree creatures since seeing the mean trees trouble Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz and reading about the Ents in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy so I really enjoyed painting this one.

Thanks for checking in!

2 comments: